Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ye Olde Thorn

If you've ever been to a Renaissance Festival (or even if you haven't), chances are you've run across plenty of "Ye Olde fill in the blank"s. Generally Ye Olde Inne or Ye Olde Coffee Shoppe or something like that. Well, maybe I'm the only person on earth who didn't know this - and thought they were perhaps clumsily telling me that it was my coffee shoppe - but apparently Y used be the printer's adaptation of the thorn (รพ). So, basically, "ye" is just "the". The Olde Inne. The Olde Coffee Shoppe. Well, that clears that up. Now I just have to figure out why the Disney logo has a big, deformed, backwards G where the D should be. Oh, and the Y is a P.


Yes, I am very stupid. I'm working on it.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing. This makes much better sense!

    The Disney thing is funny. English speakers may not get it at first, but it shows how difficult it can be to read handwritten manuscripts in an antiquated form of a language you read only passably. And that certainly sometimes happens.

    ReplyDelete