Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!!!

In light of that well earned holiday, Mother's Day, I offer a link to a very informative article on the subject. It's rather interesting, actually. I would sum up what's in it, but you might as well just click the link and find out yourself.
I love this poem, and I thought that it would be good to post on Mother's Day.

The Boy Who Kissed His Mother
           By Eben E. Rexford
She sat on the porch in the sunshine,
as I went down the street-
A woman whose hair was silver,
But whose face was blossom sweet,
Making me think of a garden,
Where, in spite of the frost and snow
Of bleak November weather,
Late, fragrant lilies grow.

I heard a foot step behind me,
And the sound of a merry laugh,
And I knew the heart it came from
Would be like a comforting staff
In the tie and the hour of trouble,
Hopeful and brave and strong;
One of the hearts to lean on
When we think that things go wrong.

I turned at the click of the gate-latch
And met his manly look;
A face like his gives me pleasure,
Like the page of a pleasant book;
It told of a steadfast purpose,
Of a brave and daring will- 
A face with promise in it
That God grant the years fulfill.

He went up the pathway singing,
I saw the woman's eyes
Grow bright with a wordless welcome,
As sunshine warms the skies.
"Back again, sweetheart mother,"
He cried and bent to kiss
The loving face that was lifted
For what some mothers miss.

That boy will do to depend on, 
I hold that this is true-
From lads in love with their mothers
Our bravest heroes grew.
Earth's grandest hearts have been loving hearts,
Since time and earth began,
And the boy that kissed his mother
Is every inch a man.

It seems that in modern American society, everything is BAD until proven GOOD, not the other way around. This certainly includes the way kids look at their parents. Whenever I meet one of someone's parents, I expect them to be evil or crazy the way the kids talk about them. Not many boys I know would even dream of showing affection towards their mothers. However, it's a rare but wonderful quality; a girl always likes to see a lad in love with  his mother, because its from them our bravest heroes grow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment